Cleaning the garbage disposal is one of the most avoided chores in every household, especially because not even the most avid cleaner really wants to know what goes on down there. However, learning how to clean your garbage disposal properly makes the task seem a little less daunting. Simply turn off power to your disposal, then follow these steps.
Clean the Baffle
The baffle is the rubber flap that keeps food in the disposal from making a second appearance. Using dish soap and an abrasive sponge, clean both sides of the baffle thoroughly. Rinse the sponge frequently to remove all of the gunk.
Tackle the Grinding Chamber
Once the baffle is clean, wipe the sponge around the tops of the grinding chamber until the sponge comes out clean and the surface feels clean. Again, make sure to rinse the sponge often.
Stopping after these two steps will get your disposal system in pretty good shape, but you can take it a step further to clean the drain pipe and make sure the disposal is completely clean.
Clean the Drain
There are two ways to clean your drain pipe and garbage disposal even more: A vinegar and baking soda mixture or ice with rock salt or vinegar.
Vinegar and Baking Soda
- Pour a ½ cup of baking soda into the disposal, then carefully pour equal parts vinegar down the drain.
- Cover the drain with the sink stopper and wait a few minutes while the mixture fizzes and breaks down any leftover gunk.
- After a few minutes have passed, remove the stopper and use hot water to flush the mixture. If your sink has two basins, clean both drains at the same time.
Ice and Rock Salt or Vinegar
- Fill the disposal with ice cubes and pour in a cup of vinegar or rock salt.
- With the water running, turn the disposal on for 30 seconds to grind up the ice, which will break down any built-up gunk.
- Repeat if needed.
Call a Professional
Many times, homeowners clean their garbage disposal because it isn’t working correctly. If you clean your disposal and it still isn’t working, call the professionals at Parker & Sons Plumbing for garbage disposal repair. Contact us today to begin your service request.