We use our showers every day, so shouldn’t they stay clean? As amazing as that would be for homeowners everywhere, cleaning showers and tubs is a difficult task that requires a lot of work. Here are some shower maintenance tips for keeping your shower and tub clean.
Know Your Shower
Did you know that different types of shower materials matter when cleaning? Let’s talk common shower materials:
- Acrylic: It can scratch, but it’s highly resistant to staining, chipping, cracking, fading and other damage.
- Fiberglass: Prone to cracking and scratching, but stain-resistant. Discoloration over time is common.
- Porcelain Enamel: Durable, but prone to chipping that allows the metal underneath to rust. Never use bleach, as it will cause discoloration
Once you know your tub or shower, it’s time to start cleaning.
Say No to Mildew
The caulking in showers is a popular place for mold and mildew to grow, so keep it clean and dry by turning your bathroom fan on for half an hour after showering. If mold does grow, spray the area with bleach and let it sit for 15 minutes before scrubbing with a soft brush and rinsing. If the issue is too severe, you may have to recaulk entirely, so keep up with cleaning.
Tackle Hard Water Stains
If you have hard water at your house, it’s a good idea to invest in the longevity of your appliances and avoid hard water stains by getting a water softener installed. If you have stains from your hard water (or other tough stains), use a vinegar and baking soda or vinegar and borax solution to remove them. Especially difficult stain can be removed with a borax and vinegar paste. For a step-by-step guide, visit our blog.
Don’t Forget the Pipes
You might not realize it, but your shower drain is also important to clean. Without regular cleaning, shower drains will get clogged, especially if you have long hair. To avoid clogs, consider these prevention methods:
- Pour boiling water down the drain every time you clean your shower.
- Pour a cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar down the drain and let it sit for at least 15 minutes, then rinse with hot water.
- Invest in a shower drain guard and remove hair regularly.
If you have problems with your shower or tub, contact Parker & Sons Plumbing today to begin a service request.